Saturday, January 18, 2014

Cognitive Neuroscience Society Website

As I search for more ways to learn about Cognitive and Metacognitve learning I ran across this blog this morning, and am adding it here so I can keep a record of it.  Since my studies in Learning Theories at Walden U have lead me to explore more about how people learn I am so thankful for the large amount of information on the Internet.

Right now I am looking for a blog where I can add some insightful comments.  The CNS website does not allow for comments.  However, it contains some great articles on brain functioning, and memory.  Some things you might have thought of and others, maybe not.

Here is their link:  https://www.cogneurosociety.org/

They have an active membership that uses Twitter, too.  So if you enjoy Twitter you might want to add them to keep up on the latest news.  Two articles interested me this morning.

One was titled, When Gazing Into Nothing Helps Us Remember.  Can eye movement be a key to memory?  That is a question they are addressing.  Would it be possible to decorate next year's Christmas tree exactly like you decorated this year's tree?  What about getting a new computer and arranging your desktop icons the same as they were on the old computer? Could you do it?  What if you were not able to access the old computer?

While this type of research might not effect you, maybe it will.  Do you have trouble remembering where you left your car keys or glasses?  While it might not help us to memorize the Preamble to the Constitution, tips on how to remember are almost always beneficial to me.There is more ongoing research so you might want to follow this blog, too.

Another article on the CNS site has to deal with Optical Illusions.  Anyone who knows me knows that I am fascinated by them.  I think most people are because it seems like our eyes can play tricks on our brain of visa-versa.    How can a two dimensional drawing appear to be moving?

Using optical illusions to study how the brain work is nothing new.  However it is still being written about and researched.  I remember using this picture all through school to study perception.


What do you see when you look at this image?  How many things do you see?  It is fun to read the research behind this.  These images have been around for a  long time, and they are classic.  There are so many of them and people are finding or creating new ones every year it seems.

Here is one of my favorites, but it can make you dizzy.  It is even better if it is enlarged.  you can get more depth to it.


Finally, this one is just fun!


Do optical illusions lead to more understanding of  perception and focus?  Is seeing really believing?  How could you use this knowledge in teaching?

No comments:

Post a Comment