Friday, January 17, 2014

Another Friday Night With Homework To Do

Here it is another Friday night and there is more homework to do for my online class.  Fortunately it involves reading blogs.  That is something I enjoy doing so it won't be too bad.  If only I could make high school this much fun, right?  I am sure my students would agree.

This week's assignment consists of posting something insightful on another blog.  Why do I feel that I will be more insightful tomorrow?  I think I will just recap some of what we have covered this week in my class at Walden University and add some of the links that I want to be able to go back and review.  There was so much information this week on brain research, and how individuals learn that it was overwhelming for me.

I would like to know why does my brain work so slow? Why am I not a super fast processor like my computer?  I wonder if we will ever get memory chips.  I would hate to see what my RAM is measuring.

This Week's links from the Discussion Board

Gary K. made this find from a Ted Talk video about a growth mindset toward learning:  

Gary K. goes on to explain that the video is based on the work of a well known Stanford University psychologist, Carol Dweck.  Gary also included a link explaining her research.   http://mindsetonline.com/whatisit/about/
I am hoping to use this information when I tutor my students over the next two weeks with pointers on how to pass the California High School Exit Exam.

Gary K. also shared this link to an engaging video about a new take on David and Goliath.  http://www.inc.com/issie-lapowsky/idea-lab-malcolm-gladwell-what-entrepreneurs-can-learn.html?cid=homesub1






Is brain research important to educators?  There is a debate going on in that area right now. Perhaps it has been going on for centuries.  I am hoping that brain research can lead to solving learning disabilities and give all children the same opportunities that several lack due to their abilities to process information.

Here is another link, and I will embed that video, too, so that it can be easier for you to watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdJ7JW0LgVs



This link was shared by our instructor.

I have barely scratched the surface on all the information available this week.  Hopefully I will get back to add more of what others have taught me this week at Walden University's class: 

EDUC-6115-5,Learning Theories Instruction.2014 Spring Sem 01/06-04/27-PT2

No comments:

Post a Comment